- Founded in 1804.
- The second oldest university in the Russian Federation.
- Among top 10 institutions of higher education in the country.
- Accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education of the Russian Federation.
As the main centre of higher education for a vast region, Kazan University includes 19 institutes and faculties and 105 academic departments. Over 47,000 students, who follow 300 major degree programs, attend the university.
The history of Kazan State University is associated with many world-famous names, such as the father of non-Euclidian geometry Nikolai Lobachevsky; the writer Leo Tolstoy; the discoverer of the Antarctic Ivan Simonov; the founder of organic chemistry Alexander Butlerov; the father of modern linguistics Ivan Baudouin de Courtenay; the discoverer of electron spin resonance Evgeniy Zavoisky; and the Soviet leader Vladimir Ulyanov-Lenin.
The A.A. Stuckenberg Museum of Geology
The A.A. Stuckenberg Museum of Geology and Mineralogy of Kazan State University is one of the oldest and richest natural science museums in Russia, which were established at higher educational institutions in the late XVIII century and had both domestic and foreign collections, unlike the subsequent regional museums. The museum was founded in 1804 in accordance with the Order 1 of the Kazan Emperor University.
A two-century history of its development shows how the scientists’ creativity goes hand in hand with the results of their work as monographic collections have always been an integral part of scientific researches. For many generations of geologists the museum collections are that initial documents, which serves as a basis for researches and general conclusions as well as for definition of new scientific ideas. A primary mission of all natural science museums of Russia is to save one’s own “golden collection” and its history for future generations.
The contemporary collection of the museum consists of six main sections: ores, minerals and petrography; paleontology; dynamic geology and facies; monographic collections; geology of our region, mineral products of Tatarstan; scientific archive of museum history. There are more than 150,000 samples brought from 60 countries, including collections of meteorites, rocks, minerals, ores, fossils of plants and animals.
Today, the KSU Museum of Geology and Mineralogy is one of the richest higher educational institution museums in the country. It is included in the international and regional mineralogy reference books being a member of the International Council of Museums (ICOM), the Commission by Mineralogy Museums of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Academic Council of the Tatarstan National Museum and closely collaborates with regional and foreign natural science museums and geology institutions, providing collections’ exchange and publications and realizing joint geological projects.
The exploration of Carboniferous and Permian deposits of Volga and Kama Region is tightly connected with the name of Roderick Murchison and his colleagues, who undertook several expeditions over European Russia in 1840-1841.
The Kazan School of Geology was established in the 1860s and headed by the first professor of geology N.A. Golovkinsky, the founder of facies studies in Russia. His follower, A.A. Stuckenberg, had worked in Kazan for 30 years and was rightfully considered as the founder of Kazan Geological School.